How To Stop Your Shapewear From Rolling Down
It's Friday Night And I Feel Alright...
So you are standing by the bar with your best mates and you look pretty amazing. Your makeup is perfect, your hair is simply fabulous darling, and your outfit is sweet, sassy and sexy. You are sipping away at your glass of vino when...PING!
What the hell was that?! Skirt button in place..check. Knickers not falling down..check. It's that damn high waisted shapewear!
That high waisted waistband which was keeping everything all slinky malinky is causing a SHAPEWEAR CRIME! The dreaded shapewear roll down is in progress.
A quick dash to the loos, but what can you do?
Shapewear Roll Down Quick Fix 1
Pull the waistband REALLY high. As high as it will go. Then tuck it under your bra. It's the equivalent of tucking your vest into your pants. It holds it in place.
Shapewear Roll Down Quick Fix 2
Get some tape (fashion or tit tape if you have friends who are organised and have that sort of stuff just kicking around in their handbags - sellotape will do for the evening if not). Stick it to the inside of the waistband to form a homemade grip strip.
This stuff here http://amzn.to/2qcHgQI is pretty amazing. You can get cheaper brands, but it doesn't work half as well.
Shapewear Roll Down Quick Fix 3
Make sure your bum is in the right bit of your shapewear. If your shapewear is sitting too low around your bum it will naturally drag it down over time. Re-seat your shapewear by really scooching the bum and gusset up. Not so far as giving yourself a wedgie, but pretty far up. Then wiggle around to get it to fall into a natural place.
Shapewear Roll Down Quick Fix 4
Fold the waistband down under itself to form a lower, tighter band. This only works if your dress is forgiving - make sure you don't just look lumpy!
How Can I Stop This From Happening Again?
Most of the time, high waisted shapewear rolls down because it is not fitted correctly around your rib cage. It might be stretched too tight as you have chosen a size too small. Or it might not be gripping well as it is a little bit too big. Both problems cause the same outcome - shapewear roll down.
1. ALWAYS CHECK THE SIZE CHART
The first port of call BEFORE you buy anything is to choose shapewear in the size you are RIGHT NOW. Not in the size you would like to be. I do think that this is the biggest mistake people make when buying shapewear. Even if on the product page it says this shapewear is a size 12, check your measurements against the size chart. They are "usually" pretty good at getting it right these days.
"But I Did Check The Size Chart", I hear you cry. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, we are not all built the same. You and your friend who are both size 14 aren't built the same at all. Rib cage sizes really vary and you can be a size 14 with a very narrow rib cage, or a size 14 with a wider rib cage. Try to remember that although shapewear is pretty amazing most of the time, it is not magical and doesn't work perfectly on everyone.
2. CHOOSE HIGH WAISTED SHAPEWEAR WITH A GRIP STRIP
Lots of high waisted shapewear (including the new version of the classic Spanx Higher Power) has a lining inside the waistband. This helps to hold it up and in place. Grip strips, slip strips, stay in place waists, wonderful edge lining - they are called all sorts of things these days. It is usually a very fine line of silicone that helps the shapewear "stick" to your skin (not literally though).
3. IF YOU ARE PRONE TO SHAPEWEAR ROLLING DOWN CHOOSE SOMETHING WITH STRAPS
Spanx has brought out 2 amazing pieces of shapewear. They are basically (very high end) high waisted control knickers and high waisted body shapers. They come with detatchable straps that you attach to the shapewear and to your bra. This holds everything in place. They are a bit pricier than their regular high waisted shapewear, but they are pretty brilliant!
4. GET DRESSED IN THE RIGHT WAY
Follow my top tips on putting on high waisted shapewear to give yourself the best chance of looking fantastic all night long.
1. Don't put your shapewear on straight out of the shower. Give your skin time to cool down and dry off. Shapewear on damp skin just sits all wrong. Your shapewear will start moving about once your skin cools down and you will feel quite uncomfortable.
2. Take your time putting on shapewear. Yes, shapewear is a quick fix, but it does take a little bit of time to get on. Roll up your shapewear as if you were putting on tights and step into it. Get your bottom seated in the right place and then roll the legs down and the body up.
3. Do the shapewear dance. Once you have got your shapewear on, do a crazy dance or massive wiggle. Move your arms and legs about in all directions. You look look a bit bonkers but trust me, it will help your shapewear to settle into the right place.
4. Tuck your high waisted shapewear into your bra. Do this as a matter of course every time you wear it. Think vest in knickers. It really does make sense. It also gives you a much better line under your clothes. I do wish brands like Spanx would recommend this, but I'm guessing their photos wouldn't look quite so lovely!
5. If you have a worry that things might start slipping down over the evening, preempt the issue by adding reinforcements. Add a bit of fashion (tit) tape to the insides at the top and a little bit down the sides.
Shapewear Roll Down Quick Fix 5
Okay, I have one more Quick Fix if things start to go South whilst you are out having a good time...take the flipping things off! A good night out shouldn't be ruined by shapewear.
Our Best Selling High Waisted Shapewear - That Won't Roll Down!